Wednesday 9 December 2009

Jeanie Lambe - S/T (1980)

I may have spoken too soon when I noted an allmusicguide entry for the previous entrant Stu Stevens, for what do I find but another example in the shape of sultry jazz singer Jeanie Lambe. Backed by her husband Danny Moss and his quartet, Jeanie here smoulders through a selection of torch songs that may very well be standards, though are uncredited on the label.

While I haven't been able to find anything on Ms Lambe from before this 1980 LP, a modest career appeared to follow, including three further albums for what may be another private label, Zodiac, and singles for CBS and Philips. Sadly, my research also revealed that Moss died in 2008, some 19 years after he and Jeanie moved to Perth but as this obituary in the Telegraph reveals, this was not before he had received an MBE and the two of them had built a nice little reputation for themselves on the international circuit. I like to think of her still practicing her scales as she basks in the Australian sun.

I can't pretend to be a connoisseur of the genre, but I actually really like this smokily atmospheric LP, which is some distance from the cheery, beery club atmosphere of many of my other entries. Not that I would consider that particularly relevant in selecting any record for inclusion - in fact I just happened to pick this one up last Saturday in Brighton on the basis of the glam cover which I thought was a nice contrast to some of the previous entries - but let's just say I don't think this one will scare too many horses.

Jeanie Lambe - S/T
Flyright Stereo FLY 215

SIDE A
SITTIN' AND A-ROCKIN'
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LOVE IS
GLAD TO BE UNHAPPY
IWON'T DANCE
CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS

SIDE B
NO GOOD MAN
TEACH ME TONIGHT
BLUE PRELUDE
SUGAR
I WISH I WAS BACK IN MY BABY'S ARMS
ANY PLACE I HANG MY HAT

JEANIE LAMBE
WITH THE DANNY MOSS QUARTET
DANNY MOSS Tenor Sax BRIAN LEMON Piano
LEN SKEAT Bass DEREK HOGG Drums
Recorded at RON GEESIN'S STUDIO
Heathfield, Sussex
September 5, 1980
Photography: ERIC G. LOVAT
Art Direction and Design: NIGEL GOODALL
Sleeve printed and made by SENOL PRINTING
c 1980 FLYRIGHT RECORDS, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, England

2 comments:

  1. Jeanie Lambe seems to be underrated now ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw her at Richmond Jazz Festival about 1963, a beautiful lady singing with a mainstream group, forget details prob Tony Coe, Humph etc. good singer .

    ReplyDelete