Wednesday 1 August 2012

Hogarth's World - S/T (1974?)

First post in quite a while, and back with an exemplary entry. For any English person who grew up in the 70s, the cover of this album is as stirring an evocation of English society as any Olympics opening ceremony. The new-build house with its bulk, inelegance, and clashing architectural styles was nevertheless the last word in aspiration at the time, the archetypal 'house on the hill' in the then still spreading suburbs. And the reason the band presumably asked the builder who owned it if they could borrow it as a backdrop. Here they stand resplendent in their matching cabaret threads, by a recently excavated pond which brings to mind the cover of Harmony Revival's effort and adds a similarly misguided, but charming, touch.

Like many such albums produced by the private album powerhouse Tavern, no date is given for this, but the selection of songs as well as the outfits (front and back) suggest that this album is from the early-to-mid-70s. I'm guessing 1974, based on the inclusion of the presumably token contemporary track Caroline by Status Quo.

Hogarth's World, Pete, Terry, Nick and Jeff, offer few clues on the album notes to their origins, taking the opportuntiy to thank their fans, reinforce their local and national (or, in this case, international) popularity, and assure eager consumers of their longevity. Recorded at the apparently defunct Wellingborough Studios, I presume the band is from the East Midlands, but my researches have turned up little else. So please enjoy the mystery that is...Hogarth's World.

Copyright Records

The trouble with HOGARTH'S WORLD is that their repertoire is full of too many good songs. They are in demand at top venues all over the United Kingdom and the Continent. When they were talking about making a new Album, it was obvious they should concentrate on giving their followers the opportunity to enjoy their polished act in the comfort of their own homes. That is why this album is now in your hands. HOGARTHS'S WORLDS - Pete, Terry Nick and Jeff - have only one aim, to please audiences wherever they appear, and they have proved they have the ability to present an act which has received top accolades in many countries. The numbers on this Album are designed to give you, their audience, another glimpse of their talent. It was made with one priority - to thank the people who have watched and enjoyed them. It is merely a token of their appreciation to you. It may be some time before you can enjoy the music of HOGARTH'S WORLD again, but they will be back - they promise.

COPYRIGHT RECORDS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

SLEEVE PHOTOGRAPHY KEITH DOBNEY
SLEEVE NOTES ERIC HARRIS

PRODUCED AT WELLINGBOROUGH STUDIOS, ENGLAND

Printed and made in Great Britain by Garrod and Lofthouse International Limited

21 comments:

  1. Hi Just interested in this post as my brother Pete Spence was in the band. They all came from the Luton area. Jeff and Pete are still entertaining. Pete went on to form the highly successful band The Wellington Bootles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Mick Goddard ever in the band?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sugar, I was looking forward to being the third person to download this, when I got a stupid message from Mediafire. Instead of an evening of enjoyable music I got: The file you requested has been removed from MediaFire for a violation of our Terms of Service. This file has been taken down by:
    Company: LeakID
    Email: herve.lemaire@leakid.com

    Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance of re-upping this LP, pretty please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear this as i saw the bootles on countless occasions ,great band

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm Nick and I was the bass man. We recorded this album in two days. It has to be the worst album cover of all time. Now aged 76, I'm still gigging regularly playing guitar with 'The Dukes of Earl'. I'm still writing and recording. Check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw1vXLP8Hms

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling my Uncle Doug Olney was the Manager?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he was. He was the bass guitarist in Terry Judge and the Barristers with me on guitar. He played on the band's three issued singles - two on Oriole and one on Fontana. A great guy with great humour.

      Delete
  8. Any chance of a re-up, please? Maybe at zippyshare?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my dad is Terry Judge,He doesn't sing anymore, but is still around. I loved this album as a child and would always love it when we could watch the band on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally tracked down Terry - a dear friend since 1963 - after a few years of frustrating search. He has promised to come and see my latest band "The Dukes of Earl" at the 'Hen and Chickens' Baldock on Sunday 10th Feb 2019. This included me Nick Murray and drummer Bob Prebble in a band e were in with Terry called "Five Star Gas" Look for our single by searching on YouTube for Five Star Gas Sledgehammer

    ReplyDelete
  11. The gig runs from 3.00 to 6.00pm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nick
    I remember you well from the Greenacres St Neots with Fredie Pollard and Gerry on the organ. I used sing there and played there with my band Paradise with my brother Ray on Drums. I am also still gigging with a three piece called the Tuck Shop Boys. Best Regards Mike Chown

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I have just bought this album at a record shop in Guildford and wondered who the group were.My copy is signed!
    The album cover is soooooo amazing.Tight little band too.
    Love it! Best Tony

    ReplyDelete
  14. The band, I first saw at a family wedding when I was very young. The band members were family friends of my parents in Luton.
    My dad was in the pub business for years and worked at the 3 Horseshoes near Marsh Road and on the committee at The Heron near Limbury Mead.
    When I was based in Germany with the Army, Pete and the Wellington Bootles played in the Sgts Mess at Wulfen in the late 80's
    My mum still has the album at her home I must borrow it and convert it to MP3.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually have two signed copies of this but can not remember where and where they were signed. Makes sense if they were from Luton because I’m from Hitchin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought a copy of this LP from a Bristol Oxfam shop in September. A very valuable and now collectable snapshot of a Northern copies band of the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was in Luton back in 89 when we heard the bootlegs just checking to see if this is the same band and if so where can I hear there music, reminiscing with my sister's

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bought this album in Troon Scotland yesterday in a charity shop.I am an aff the head vinyl collector.
    It is signed by the band and am listing to tonight.
    All I can say is it is a great album and thank you guys it's a great listen to. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  19. I Remember Nick and Terry From the early 70's , i played Bass in a band at the time and often saw them at the greenacres in st .neots, i particuly remember Nick as he lent me his bass of couple of times, i also depped with his later band 5 srar gas when their bass player (Roger Lambourn) couldnt make a gig. Great memories , Jay Hartop

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great live band the Wellington Bootles were regularly played the blacksmiths arms park Street luton, They had a loyal following, Pete Spence a brilliant guitarist and comedian great memories.

    ReplyDelete